St. Cecilia’s Refugee Sponsorship Committee
As you may be aware from reports in the news media, Christians in the Middle East, particularly in Iraq and Syria, have been suffering from acts of violence committed against them. Many have sought refuge in neighboring countries in fear of religious persecution. Over 2 years ago, our parish agreed to sponsor an Iraqi refugee family of 5, to make it possible for them to leave the Middle East and the religious persecution to live in Canada. Applications were made and submitted on their behalf and the process has taken considerable time to be completed. Happily, we believe that the family might be arriving in Toronto very soon. As their sponsors, we have committed to support the family financially and otherwise for one year from the date of their arrival in Toronto. One of the major needs and part of our commitment upon their arrival, will be to provide the family with accommodations.
In this regard, if any parishioner has, or may know someone who has, an apartment or house available for rent, suitable to accommodate a family of 5, (3 adults and 2 children), please speak to Fr. Joseph or Angelo Favretto or call the office during office hours at (416)769-8163.
In addition, to accommodation, the family will need other basic items such as furniture, linens, appliances, utensils, household goods, clothing, etc. If anyone is able to help, with providing any of these items, please forward an itemized list, with your contact information on it, addressed to the St. Cecilia’s Refugee Sponsorship Committee. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support!
June is the Month of the Sacred Heart.
The Church encourages all Catholics to practice devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
PROMISES OF THE MOST SACRED HEART
- I will give them all the graces necessary for their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge in life and especially in death.
- I will abundantly bless all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise speedily to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Sacred Heart shall be exposed and venerated.
- I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.
- Persons who propagate this devotion shall have their names eternally written in my Heart.
- In the excess of the mercy of my Heart, I promise you that my all powerful love will grant to all those who will receive Communion on the First Fridays, for nine consecutive months, the grace of final repentance: they will not die in my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; and my Heart will be their secure refuge in that last hour.
St. Cecilia’s Church Annual Strawberry Festival
Sunday, June 23, 2013!
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Rain or Shine!
Sign-up sheets for volunteers, baked goods, etc. can be found at the back of the church!
Saturday, June 22nd
6:00 a.m. start from the church!
Volunteers are needed to assist with picking of the strawberries! If you haven’t ever picked strawberries, training is available, and everyone is encourage to join in for the excursion and the adventure! Sign-up sheets are available at the back of the church.
Thank you to those who have already signed up to assist!
If you have experience in making and canning of strawberry jam, we need you! A sign-up sheet can be found at the back of the church!
A second collection will be taken up for the camp this Sunday, June 16th. The envelope for your donation can be found in this bulletin. Open to eligible girls ages 5 – 13, Marygrove provides an 8 day camping experience for children who may not otherwise have the opportunity to enjoy a camping adventure. The Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Toronto Central Council, helps over 1,000 girls each summer, registering eligible campers through home visits. Each camper’s holiday is fully subsidized through the generous support of an annual Camp Collection held in the parishes throughout the Archdiocese of Toronto.
Altar Servers & Eucharistic Ministers
Schedules will be available again in September. During the months of July and August, please offer your help at whatever Mass you will be attending.
I needed some supplies from a Sunday School cupboard that was seldom used and was secured with a lock. I didn’t know the combination, but our clergyman offered to give it a try. Father Jack placed his fingers on the lock’s dial and raised his eyes heavenward for a moment. Then he confidently spun the dial and opened the lock. Seeing how impressed I was with this demonstration of faith, he smiled and confided, “The numbers are written on the ceiling.”